Pre-loader logo

How Do I Turn on the Utilities to My Real Estate Property in Puerto Rico

The Heartbeat of the Caribbean!

Where Do I start and What Can I Expect

05 Sep, 2022

How Do I Turn the Utilities on to my Real Estate Property In Puerto Rico

Who Are the Utility Companies in Puerto Rico


The 2 main utility companies in Puerto Rico is AAA (Water) and Luma (Electric).  There is no natural gas company in Puerto Rico.  You will need to order propane through your local company to run your gas appliances. When it comes to Sewer, most are on a septic, but you may be lucky enough to have City Sewer which is paid through your water bill.  There are other utilities such as cable, internet, cell phone, etc., but we are going to focus on the 2 main utilities that are the most important.


What is The Process of Getting my Utilities turn On

If you bought a Real Estate Property in Puerto Rico in which the Utilities have not been on for over 2 years or there are no Meters, the process to turn them on is as follows:

  • Plumbing and Electrical Certifications
    • You will need to hire a licensed Plummer and Electrician to inspect the homes plumbing and electrical systems.  If it passes, they will certify it in which they will give you a copy for you to present to both AAA and LUMA
    • The Cost is usually around $175
    • The reason for this is to make sure the plumbing and electrical systems are in good condition to hook the utilities up
  • Take Certification to both AAA and LUMA
    • Once you present the certification to AAA or LUMA, they will schedule a service call to the property to connect the main system to your home.  If the home is missing the meters, the utility companies will replace them at your cost
    • The Service call is not fast and can take up to 60 days to complete
  • Other Documents you will need to Present to AAA and LUMA
    • Copy of your Sales Deed
    • Physical Address of the property
    • Coordinates to the Property
    • Personal ID-Driver’s License
    • Copy of your Social Security Card

If the utilities are currently on or been recently turn off, the process is a little bit easier and faster.  The information you will need is as follows:

  • Copy of Current Owners Utility bills
    • For our clients, we ask the current owners or the listing agent to provide us a copy of the current owners AAA and LUMA bills at closing and we also try to get it sooner
  • Copy of your Sales Deed
  • The physical Address
  • Coordinates to home
  • Copy of your ID-Driver’s License
  • Copy of your Social Security Card
  • Picture of both Meters showing the Meter Numbers

You will then need to contact both AAA and LUMA to get the process started.  Below is contact information and what you need for both.

AEE (Now LUMA Energy)

Request a new service:
email: [email protected]


  • Name
  • Social Security #
  • License Number and Photo
  • Phone number
  • Property Address
  • Postal Address
  • Meter Number

After your connection is completed, please register, and create account to make payment and monitor.

AAA (Water)
website: or email: [email protected] 

Register/ Create Account 

Go to Service Request and Fill out form. You will need the following:

  • Photo ID
  • Last 4 Social Security
  • Meter Number
  • Property Address

Remember to use the account to make payments and monitor.

Getting the utilities turned on is a little different that you may be used to depending on where you are from, but we are here to help. If you need any additional help or have other questions, please contact us and we would love to see what we can do to help.

Subscribe to our blog.